Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital's antenatal programme is designed to equip new mummies and daddies with the skills to give your newborn the best start in life.
Our small group classes are held over three Saturdays, and will cover breastfeeding tips according to World Health Organisation guidelines, baby care, and the birth environment in a hospital.
The classes provide hands-on skills on infant bathing, diaper change, burping, and breastfeeding positions using a baby mannequin. You will also learn techniques to reduce engorgement and blocked ducts using a breast model. The last class covers advice on baby choking, as well as massage techniques for mothers and babies by Beauty Mum’s trained staff nurse and therapists.
Session 1: Embracing the Birthing Journey
Instructor: Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Senior Staff Midwife
- When is it time to go to the hospital
- Labouring in a hospital environment
- Vaginal birth, assisted birth and Caesarean section
What's after birth
- Managing wounds
- Understanding emotional changes
- Strengthening pelvic floor muscles
Understanding your baby
- Common characteristics of a newborn
Ensuring newborn safety
- Swaddling baby
- Burping baby
- Managing choking baby
Session 2: Practical Steps to a Positive Breastfeeding Experience
Instructor: Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital IBLC Lactation Consultants
10 Steps towards successful breastfeeding
- Skin to skin benefits
- Rooming in and responding to baby cues
- Breastfeeding positions
- Having the correct latch
- Why and when baby will need supplements
Breastfeeding 6 months and beyond
- Back to work
- Milk expression and milk storage
Challenges to breastfeeding
- Increasing breast milk supply
- Prevention of sore nipples
- Relief of engorgement / oversupply
- Prevention of blocked milk ducts
- Coping with baby's cries
- When do you wake a sleeping baby
- Baby bath and diaper change
- Care of baby's eyes
- Care of umbilical cord
Session : Complimentary
Instructor: Beauty Mum Trained Nurse
Massage techniques for Baby
Massage techniques for Mum
Massage techniques for Mum
- Classes are conducted in English.
- All classes are held at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, 38 Irrawaddy Road, Singapore 329563
- Light refreshments are provided. Do inform us if you are a vegetarian and/or have any food allergies.
- Charges are exclusive of Goods and Services Tax..
- To sign up, please contact 6933 0940/1 during office hours.
- Refunds and replacement sessions are not permitted regardless of reasons.
- Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital’s Parentcraft Centre reserves the right to reschedule classes due to unforeseen circumstances.
Speak to our Mount Elizabeth Novena Lactation Consultants at +65 6933 0940 to find out more about our antenatal programme.